Thursday, November 20, 2014

Accutane - My new "friend"

As you guys know, I'm all for the natural way, I don't like using medicine when nature can take care of it, itself. I truly believe that you can cure so many things by changing you lifestyle, by taking care of yourself and making wise choices. But, I've been struggling with acne for the past 5 years, and I just can't seem to figure out what's causing it/triggering it or making it go away, even though it did get better when I stopped drinking milk, you can read about that here. It just didn't go away completely, I decided to go to a dermatologist. I had tired antibiotics and cremes before, but they would not make the acne go away permanently, so she suggested that I try accutane. I have to say I was against it in the beginning, because whatever is teratogenic (disturbs growth/development of embryo/fetus) can not be healthy for your body in any way. I did decide to go with her suggestion because having cystic acne is really painful, both physically but also psychological. No matter how many times I tell myself that I don't care how I look, it still bothers me, and since I will get married this summer, I would like to have beautiful pictures, without uneven and scarred skin.

Before Accutane




Accutane
In Denmark Accutane can only be prescribed by a dermatologist, before starting the treatment though you have to get blood samples taken, to see if you are pregnant (if you are female of course!) and to see how your liver is working and fat levels in the blood. They do that every month to make sure there are no unwanted/dangerous side effects, and they make sure you are not pregnant because Accutane is teratogenic, which means it will harm the embryo/fetus. They say it takes 4-6 week before you see improvements, and the acne can even get worse in the beginning! Of course you experience the side effects almost imediatly, the most prominent side effect is dryness (which is actually how the drug works), dry skin, dry scalp, nose bleeds because of dryness in the nose and dry eyes. (anyone questioning why i was reluctant to start this treatment in the first place? Hmm?) Besides that treatments need to last for at least 4-6 months to see lasting results and some even have to repeat treatments to make their acne go away(Crossing my fingers that, that someone isn't me!).

4 weeks of Accutane


Completely bare face

Results &  experienced side effects
I have been on Accutane for 4 weeks now and I'm starting to see improvement. But I also have side effects, my skin is more dry, its nothing that a little cream can't handle though. But the eczema on my scalp has gone crazy, I have to use medication to keep it down, which I normally don't have to. Other than that I have had crazy dry lips, I cannot live without a lip balm (you can see what lip balm I use here), like if I leave the house without one I have to go back and get it (lip balm addiction LOL). Other than that I haven't had any side effects. Let see what next weeks blood samples will say and if my dermatologist will let me continue the treatment.


I will definitely keep you guys updated, you will not be spared one single little detail, especially because I want this to be a help for others to make decisions related to treating acne.

What are your experiences with Accutane?



No comments:

Post a Comment

icon_facebook icon_google icon_instagram icon_linkedin icon_pinterest icon_rss icon_twitter YouTube